Have you ever been watching your favorite YouTuber and thought "Hmm...I want to try that?" I watch Ray Mack's cooking videos all the time. I really enjoy his humor and enthusiasm. As a BBQ lover I was really inspired by his BBQ chicken sandwich video, so I decided to make my own. Here is how I did it, in case you want to give it a try. Recipe and Instructions below the video.
- One large sweet yellow onion
- Mayonnaise (We used Duke’s Smooth and Creamy)
- Hamburger buns (We used Sara Lee’s Artesano buns)
- 3 tablespoons of Duke’s Mayonnaise
- ½ cup of Mike D’s BBQ Spicy sauce
- Mike D’S BBQ all purpose rub
- Bacon (any kind)
- Pre-sliced cheese or any cheese that can be sliced (We used Mild Hoop cheddar cheese)
- Mike D’s BBQ BIG Sauce
- Put olive oil in a pan and saute onions with Mike D’s all purpose rub until soft and brown. Set aside.
- Season chicken breasts with Mike D’s all purpose rub on both sides.
- Place on the smoker or in the oven at 350 degrees.
Time to make the special sauce!
- Stir mayonnaise, ½ cup Mike D’s BBQ Spicy sauce, and a tablespoon of Mike D’s BBQ all purpose rub together in a small bowl then place it in the refrigerator.
Back to the recipe!!
- Broil bacon in the oven until cooked to your liking. Drain bacon on paper towels and put the pan aside.
- Slice enough cheese to cover your chicken breasts. Make sure it’s cut thin enough to melt quickly.
- When the chicken has an internal temperature of 165 degrees, add a layer of Mike D’s BIG sauce.
- Place the sliced cheese on the chicken breasts and allow them to continue cooking just long enough for the cheese to melt, then remove them from the heat source.
- Brush the inside of the bottom hamburger buns with bacon grease from the pan used to broil bacon. Repeat with the outside of the top hamburger bun.
- Place the buns in the oven to toast then remove.
- Apply “special sauce” mixture to the inside of the hamburger buns.
- Place chicken breast on the bottom bun.
- Place bacon on top of the chicken breast.
- Place sautéed onions on top of the bacon.
- Add a layer of BIG Sauce then top off the sandwich with the top bun.